I'm a buyer of products, what is compliance to me?
I'm a buyer, so....
What does this mean for purchasing?
Makers are taking care to respect your family and keep each member as safe as they possibly can. This includes registering their businesses in the federal databases, purchasing materials that are already compliant under the CPSC/CPSIA regulations, and getting components and finished products tested at CPSC-accepted labs.
How do I know who is compliant and who is not?
The small business makers are banding together to show you that we truly care. As such, you should be able to locate a statement on their web-stores. Such statements as "Meets CPSC safety requirements" (not 'certified' by an agency) will let you know that their products are following all of the current requirements for that particular product.
As well, you can easily spot a maker that is likely to be compliant by their use of labeling. Under the CPSIA, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and US Customs and Border Protection (US CBP), various products are required to have certain information available on the online listing and permanently attached to the finished product before it is sent out to the consumer.
Each label should enable you to find the following information:
Who the manufacturer is (usually this is a business logo)
Where the manufacturer creates the product (Country)
When the product was finished
How to care for the product
A unique mark or number so you are able to follow recall instructions should the occassion arise.
- Fiber content (in the US, this can actually be on a removable tag instead of permanent)
Aside from the description information in the listing and the labeling, just ask!
"Hi! I'm in looking at this product for my 5 year old and was wondering if you are compliant?" Any seller that has gone through the process to meet CPSC safety requirements will *happily* say so.
Now for the agency links:
- CPSC: http://www.cpsc.gov/ & their Regulatory Robot
- CPSIA: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Regulations-Laws--Standards/CPSIA/The-Consumer-Product-Safety-Improvement-Act/
- FTC: http://www.ftc.gov/
- FDA: http://www.fda.gov/
Where to get help from me:
- The Makers Resource Shop (digital books, video modules, testing, and more)
- The Makers Community (private group membership with additional support and 'hand-holding')
- US Product Safety Compliance Facebook group (large group for basic questions)
- Resources page (a collection of links and information for the journey)
- Blog (includes my Tuesday Tips and Featured Member Fridays)