Business Registration (single member LLC)

Business Registration (single member LLC)

You've decided to sell as a single member Limited Liability Company (LLC).  I make the distinction of 'single member' because an LLC with 2 members has different requirements (partnership).

Your first step is to hop on your Secretary of State website to register your business name.  If you are using your personal name, you will still need to register with the Secretary of State to be an LLC.

After you've received your LLC paperwork and approval, it's time to get your *FREE* EIN from the IRS.  This number effectively is your business' social security number and keeps you from sharing your own social security number.  It *is* free, so if you are looking at a fee owed, you are not in the right place (go here).  Obtaining the EIN does not mean you have to file anything or pay any taxes.  Again, this is only a identifying number (and, no, you do not have to have employees to get this number).

After obtaining the EIN, hop on over to your state's website for taxes.  This is usually the Department of Revenue, but can also be called the Department of Taxation, Comptroller, or some other name.  Search for "Sales & Use Tax".  You will use this number to collect state sales tax from customers in your own state.

Also after obtaining the EIN, you must open up a business bank account.  If you do not keep a separate account, you will lose any potential protection the state may have provided.  

Finally, check your city/county for other requirements for Property Tax, Zoning, and other License requirements.



Check out these products to help your journey.


Have you found this post to be helpful?

Please do feel free to share the link!

This blog and the free Facebook group are supported by purchases made in the shop and by donations.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.